Tuesday 1 September 2009

Transcription of Gale's Campus Moviefest video...

I transcribed Gale's words from the Campus MovieFest video.

He's with *Stephen Kijak, the film director who made Scott Walker: 30 Century Man. They are hosting one of the workshops for the student filmmakers called "Making Your First Feature" so they probably discussed how "Scott Walker: 30 Century Man" was made. I just love that Stephen was so supportive of him when Gale's confidence wavered while trying to get his point across. :)

Okay, so here's the transcription and, although there are a couple of missing words, I think it's pretty accurate:

Interviewer: What is it that attracted you to something like Campus Moviefest that promotes student film making?

Gale: Film making! Supporting people who are trying to bring it to life.


***


Gale: I know that you’re all film students, or becoming film students or maybe ? film students or whatever… but, um…

I think we just wanted to have a chance to say that if you really want to fucking do something, don’t give up… and come up with something that you’re proud of and that means something beyond whatever this City's about. Right?

That’s all that matters! You want to sit here, right?

That’s kind of…. I think that’s what I wanted to say, maybe it’s not?

Stephen: That sounds good. Yeah, we second that emotion.

[Laughter]


***


[Applause]

Gale: Good evening. I’m very happy to be here and it is my pleasure this evening to present the Golden Tripod Award for Cinematography… eh, I guess we’ll get right to it and a take look at the nominees.


***


Gale: Rely on your heart and your dreams and…

Stephen: ...and your rich relatives...

Gale: …and your rich relatives… and as... and as many times as people tell you that you’re out of your mind… or that it doesn’t quite make sense… or that it’s not violent enough or sexy enough. Your dreams are really the point, right, so… and you know, you know what you believe and stick with it… yeah.

*There has been some doubt as to whether it really was Stephen Kijak with Gale. It's definitely him. Apart from the fact that his name was mentioned on the Campus MovieFest website about the workshop, Making Your First Feature, the picture on the left shows Gale with the producer, Mia Bays and Stephen. Although I've got to say that he looks quite different now to how he looked when I saw him here in London in October 2006. It was at the Q&A held after the World Premiere of Scott Walker. I hardly recognise him now, but then I suppose we all look a bit different three years on!

Oh, and I know this is completely off-topic, but I must tell you that was the SECOND time Gale has broken my heart by not showing up for something here in London. The first was at the HDFEST which was held during the London Raindance Film Festival in October 2004 when I, and another Gale devotee, saw the beautiful High Definition showing of Particles of Truth. Gale didn't come, presumably because he just couldn't be bothered he was filming QaF, and Jennifer Elster was left to do the Q&A on her own! ;)

0 comments:

Hit Statistics
Web Site Statistics